Mother’s Day Recipes any Teen Can Make
A lot of teens struggle with what to get their moms on Mother’s Day. While she always appreciates the hand-made cards and extra hugs, why not surprise her with a tasty treat?
To help you out, the stars of the upcoming movie “Moms’ Night Out,” in collaboration with eMeals, have provided some easy-to-make, delicious recipes that even teens can try. If you are not an experienced cook, might want to have Dad or another adult help you out.
Here they are:
Actor – Trace Adkins
Bones’ Bacon-Cornmeal Pancakes
Treat Mom to these Natural & Organic big pancakes with bacon in them. Bones approves of the popular maple and bacon flavor pairing.
4 slices bacon
2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Pure maple syrup
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp, and crumble.
- Combine cornmeal mix, flour, sugar, and crumbled bacon in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and 4 tablespoons oil in another bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring until blended.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon oil; heat over medium heat.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto hot skillet for each pancake.
- Cook until tops are covered with bubbles.
- Turn and cook other side until golden brown.
- Serve with syrup.
Actress – Sarah Drew
Ally’s Berry-Almond Breakfast Quinoa
Allyson loves this Clean Eating quinoa recipe to start off the day. Surprise mom with this healthy fare, and let the kids help slice the strawberries.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
4 teaspoons honey
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Combine milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan; cook over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until warm.
- Divide quinoa evenly among 4 breakfast bowls; pour warm flavored milk over quinoa.
- Top with strawberries and almonds.
- Drizzle with honey.
Mother’s Day means it’s strawberry season, too. Pair this smoothie with Ally’s Breakfast Quinoa.
16 oz package frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup crushed or cubed ice
- Combine pineapple chunks, strawberries, orange rind, orange juice, yogurt and ice in a blender.
- Cover and pulse until blended, scraping down sides as needed.
Actor – Sean Astin
Sean’s Shrimp and Grits
Here’s the ultimate comfort food, equally as good for a special occasion brunch as for dinner.
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
4 slices bacon
1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1/2 cup white wine (or sub chicken broth)
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook grits according to package directions. Stir in Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons butter and garlic salt.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, green onion, garlic and Creole seasoning; cook 2 minutes. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until wine evaporates. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shrimp, and cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve shrimp over grits; top each serving with crumbled bacon.
Actress – Patricia Heaton
Sondra’s Favorite Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
This is a messy but awesome Healthy Breakfast splurge for Mom. Change directions and make it indulgent by using thick slices of French bread and add whipped cream.
1/2 cup cream cheese spread, softened
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
8 slices whole grain bread
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple chunks, thawed
Juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Stir together cream cheese and orange rind until well blended.
- Spread mixture evenly over 4 slices bread.
- Top with remaining 4 slices bread, pressing gently around the edges to seal.
- Heat a large griddle or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a shallow dish until well blended.
- Dip 2 sandwiches in egg mixture, soaking 30 seconds on each side.
- Add sandwiches to skillet; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Combine pineapple chunks, orange juice and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until syrupy. Stir in coconut.
- Serve Tropical Compote over French toast.
In addition to making some tasty food, make sure to check out the upcoming family comedy “Moms’ Night Out” coming out May 9th! Here is the trailer:
And one last thing: to help make the best recopes you can, get some quality kitchen equipment, such as mixing bowls. Read the full info here.